So, what is it like, being single in Las Vegas?
Las Vegas has many things to commend it as a place to life; low cost of living, great weather and an entertainment district that never sleeps. And, with hundreds of thousands of new and regular visitors hitting the city every week, there should be plenty of opportunities for singles to hook up; particularly as many of these tourists are heading to Las Vegas for a party. Yes, on paper, the city looks like an ideal place for singles but what’s the reality?
In this feature, we take a look at some of the stats and demographics of the population of Las Vegas and consider the pros and cons to being single in Sin City.
- 1 Living in Las Vegas
- 2 The Demographics of Las Vegas
- 3 Dating in Las Vegas
- 4 Where to Pick Up Dates in Las Vegas
- 5 Popular Dating Sites and Apps in Las Vegas
Living in Las Vegas
Visitors to Las Vegas are often taken with the sheer amount of hedonism on display and wonder what it’s like to live in Sin City with so much temptation around them. The truth is that beyond the garish lights of the strip are real homes, communities and the daily grind of lives being lived like in any other city.
True, a good proportion of those living in Las Vegas have jobs in the service or hospitality industry which can make their hours a little unusual and expose them to them to some of the wild unrestraint displayed by tourists to the city. However, many people just have a regular job, rarely heading to the glitz of the Strip but, instead, enjoying the local life in the surrounding districts of Henderson, Paradise and Spring Valley.
But, then there are those that embrace the perks of being a local in Las Vegas; the free, or discounted, entry to beach clubs, pool parties and bars. Those that work in the entertainment sector can often benefit from ‘Industry’ nights
Other perks of living in Las Vegas include the cheap cost of living which includes low rental costs, no state income tax and the inexpensive cost of eating out. There’s always something to do, and not just on the Strip. The surrounding areas include several National Parks such as the Grand Canyon, Zion and Red Rock Canyon.
The Demographics of Las Vegas
The population of Las Vegas itself is just 650,000 people although this extends to around 2.2 million when you take into account the surrounding urban areas. According to the latest census data, just over 12% of the households in Las Vegas were made up of single women; that’s over a quarter of a million ladies in Sin City with no partner. If we take into account the age demographics then this should mean that the following split of single women living in Las Vegas:
- 23,232 women aged 18 to 24
- 84,480 women aged 25 to 44
- 57,288 women aged 45 to 64
However, the same census identifies that for every 100 women aged over 18 there are 102.5 men….which means there is competition.
The population density of Las Vegas is around 4222 people per sq. mile which, for the U.S. is pretty sparse. However, it’s the visiting population to Las Vegas which really makes the singles scene hot up, if you are interested in casual sex. Las Vegas attracts almost 40 million visitors each year most of whom do so to party.
Dating in Las Vegas
Las Vegas has a reputation for being a tough place for dating and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that this could be true. Many people head to the city to find Lady Luck but few come to find Mrs Right. As a city whose reputation is built on hedonism, parties and vice, and has one of the highest divorce rates in the country, there could be few less enticing reasons to head to Las Vegas for finding someone to settle down with.
However, it’s these very same reasons that also make Las Vegas an ideal place for casual encounters. A city that has a high population of regular and one-off visitors visiting solely for the reason of having a good time? A city that has a high number of divorcees? A city where vice and temptation is a way of life?
So, where do you find all these women?
When it comes to tourists, it’s like shooting fish in a barrel. Finding singles who live locally can be a little trickier, particularly when you factor in the stats that there are more men than women in Las Vegas, there is definitely competition.
There are pros and cons to dating in Las Vegas which can be summarised as follows:
Pros: Being Single in Las Vegas
Some perks about dating in Las Vegas include:
- The city never sleeps, and you can find people socialising and partying 24/7. This is great news for those people who have jobs in the industry, the graveyard shifters who would find it tough in other cities to meet people outside of their unsociable working hours.
- The number of people visiting the city makes meeting new people easy.
- The variety of places to take dates is almost endless and doesn’t have to be restricted to the glitz of the Strip. Sure, there are clubs, bars and shows but there’s also some great outdoor places to head to and enjoy the Nevada sun.
- Most people who head here are looking for fun and there is abundance of single females hitting Las Vegas every day; bachelorette parties, divorce parties, birthday parties and even visitors for big events like concerts, sporting events and conferences.
- There’s a huge mix of people in Las Vegas, it’s a real cultural melting pot so the variety of singles to choose from is much more varied than in other cities.
Lastly, and the best thing about the singles scene in Las Vegas, is that you can head to the same bars every week and meet new people. The turnover of visiting tourists means that once you’ve found your favorite pick-up spot, you don’t need to avoid it even if you have had a few disastrous dates….unless, of course, you only hit locals bars.
Cons: Being Single in Las Vegas
On the flip side, there are some cons to dating in Las Vegas:
- Las Vegas attracts a lot of gold diggers and if you aren’t a high roller or flash with the cash then this can turn off a certain type of woman. This could also be a pro as it quickly sorts the men from the boys.
- When it comes to dating locals, everyone seems to know everyone else, so you can quickly get yourself the wrong (or the right) kind of reputation.
- There can be a lack of depth to some women in Las Vegas, specifically those who visit the city for a wild weekend. Again, this could be a good thing if you are just interested in a casual encounter but not so good if you want more than just a one-night stand.
- If you hit it off with someone in a big way there is a strong chance they are a tourist, sometimes from another country, which can hamper your chances of making a lasting relationship. Even those that live and work here can often be a transient bunch so hook ups are usually easy but dating isn’t.
- There is a culture of instant gratification which is both a positive and a negative aspect of being single in Las Vegas. Hook ups and attacking life in a hedonistic way can be a whole lot of fun but after a while this kind of attitude can wear pretty thin.
Where to Pick Up Dates in Las Vegas
So, where in Las Vegas is good to meet other singles? Well, the short answer is, where isn’t? Apart from couples only and LGBT venues (unless you are interested in either) then there aren’t that many bars, clubs and resorts that aren’t ripe for meeting other like-minded adults.
The obvious exception to this are those resorts that are predominantly geared towards families such as Excalibur, the Mirage and Circus Circus. You should also bear in mind that the more you actively seek dates in the big hotels and casinos then the higher chance you will hook up with tourists rather than locals.
There are even speed dating events being run across the city which are ideal for busy locals who don’t have time to hit the bars every night. Some regular events are held by Date Switch or you can check EventBrite for details.
Las Vegas Casual Encounters
Most visitors to Las Vegas tend to arrive on Thursday or Friday and stay for the weekend, often leaving on Sunday or Monday. So, if you want to max out the potential of finding a party girl who is in the market for a no-strings attached, weekend fling then your best bet is to head to the same spots that visitors hit up; namely, the Strip.
Most single tourists looking for a good time in Vegas always stick to the same routines; they hit up the casinos, pool parties and head to the bars and nightclubs in the heart of the city.
Depending on what kind of woman you are looking for will determine which of the resorts and areas you want to head to but as a rough guide, this should help:
- Bond Bar at Cosmopolitan Hotel
- Velveteen Rabbit
- Minus5 Ice Bar at Mandalay Bay
- Chandelier Bar Cosmopolitan Hotel
- The Bar at Tropicana
- Fuel Bar
- Flirt Lounge at Rio
- Phoenix Bar
- Skyfall Lounge
- Golden Tiki
Diners, Grills & Restaurants
- Peppermill Diner & Lounge.
- Vintner Grill
- Beauty & Essex
- Hyde Bellagio
- 1 Oak
- Body English
Pool Parties and Beach Clubs
- Daylight Beach Club
- Encore Beach Club
- Palms Pool
- Marque Day Club
Of course, there are plenty of places to try but these locations tend to attract a lot more single women than couples and, according to many satisfied guys, have a higher proportion of women looking for company.
The other option is to play the casino game and try your luck at the Blackjack tables. A more socially interactive game, this method of chatting a lady up is more likely to snare a cougar or two but is certainly more preferable than the club scene if you rely on your silver tongue more than your dance moves.
Las Vegas: Dating Locals
If you are happy to enjoy casual dating in Las Vegas with a local then the chances are that your date will have hit most of the big attractions but that doesn’t stop you from taking her to some of Las Vegas’s other top spots.
You will find more locals in the bars, clubs and diners located outside of the Strip in Paradise and Henderson. Also, any of the main pool parties, beach clubs and nightclubs that offer free or discounted entry to locals are good bets for midweek mingling.
Popular Dating Sites and Apps in Las Vegas
Hooking up in any city in the 21st century is made significantly easier if you use the right websites or apps and Las Vegas is no different in this regard. Although the demographics of singles using dating sites tends to be geared more towards the over 30s; smartphone apps with the classic ‘swipe right’ interface seem to be more popular with the under 30s.
Both offer a very good way to meet singles whether you are looking for a casual hook up or something more serious. Each has its own reputation for what type of people use them and, more importantly, what they are looking for.
When it comes to serious dating, there are plenty of websites offering their services across Las Vegas and it very much depends on what you are looking for as to which one is best suited for you. As ever, the key to getting the right kind of dates on any kind of internet service is crafting a good profile; be unique, be honest and be memorable. There are always more men than women on these kind of sites so you have to stand out to stand a chance.
Our favorite sites (and some have apps to go along with them) for singles in Las Vegas, include:
For casual encounters, you can read our most recent guide on ‘Exploring the Backpage Las Vegas Alternatives’ which offers a range of free and premium site options for no strings attached sex in Vegas.
We’ve all heard of Tinder by now and the original ‘swipe right’ app is still one of the most widely used hook up apps in use today. However, there are several alternatives to this notorious app each of which offers something a little different.
Popular dating apps in Las Vegas include:
Lastly, wherever and however you choose to meet singles in Las Vegas, always stay safe. Meeting strangers, particularly those you encounter on the internet can be dangerous as what you see (online) is not always what you get. We aren’t just talking about the potential of hooking up with someone who is a threat but also someone who has over exaggerated their appeal or even accidentally hitting up a prostitute. Always have a back up plan for your escape and make sure you tell someone where you are going.
Featured image via Pixabay.